“For to be free is not merely to cast off one’s chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others.” – Nelson Mandela.
Every other year on this day you wave the national flag, sing patriotic songs, some even talk patriotism, hashtags of happy independence day, pictures trending on facebook and twitter and what not. But let me ask something Are you really independent? No don’t tell me, because you can go travel every state within the country or you can speak freely so you are independent because being a student I too have gone through the social science classes (some boring but you know). If your independence means only traveling within the country while being safe then let me tell you the Somalia pirates in Somalia will be also considered independent and the starving citizens of North Korea will also be considered independent.
Now if you are one among the people I mentioned above you will not be happy what I’m gonna show you but if you really respect your country and are not among those ones or two-day patriotic persons #hashtag punks. you are gonna love the article because the facts I’ll be writing below are sad but real.The facts I discovered during my research are really more than enough to question your freedom. Oh, meanwhile I forgot to write “Happy Independence Day“.
On my way to Bangalore, I was on the train and I saw a woman carrying a baby and selling fruits, now the baby merely would be 4-5 years old and by looking at his condition one can tell He was not happy. So What freedom meant to her? It was just letting her sell in trains and Nothing else. Is it the real freedom? Let me show you the statistics of people and the poverty line in India.
Shocked Right? And what’s more shocking that Still, the average money a person below poverty line makes in India is only 32 rupees as of 2017.(Source-world bank report 2017).Now This was just the beginning and I have only covered little or none parts of the problems that the society is facing. If you really want to get the whole list that will be including Rape, female feticide, acid attacks, domestic violence, dowry deaths, honor killings, forced abortion, human trafficking, sexual violence, forced prostitution and the list goes on and on. So one can really think where we are in the so called independent country.
I don’t know if I should say sorry for this or not but Giving you some really harsh facts in our country and I’m really sorry but I really feel India isn’t independent yet at least not for that woman on the train and not for the victim of the acid attack.
- Still, 30% of the people in India are below poverty line.(Now if 30% is not sounding you enough in Sri Lanka India’s neighbor state only 8.9% of people live below poverty line)
- According to the world health report, About 800000 people commit suicide worldwide every year of these 135,000 (17%) are residents of India.
- According to Forbes India is the 4th worst country for women in the world.(in which they clearly mentioned90% of trafficking took place within the country and that there were some 3 million prostitutes, of which about 40 percent were children.)
- No offense but still people are given reservation on the basis of their caste rather than their financial status.
- According to a 2013 Norton report, India is among the world’s top five countries for the highest number of incidences of cyber crime with the average cost per cyber victim to $207.
Abraham Lincon in one of his speech said that “Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves.” the country where youths are more concerned about the next episode of Splitsville and roadies rather than giving your time on other important things.Now if I’ll ask you a question when was the last time you thought to do something for your country..??
I know half of you will just skip the question and its ok. its just natural tendency of us. Yeah before leaving once more I would really like to apologize if by any mean I sound offended but I was just showing you the reality and I already mentioned its gonna be painful.
What Do You think Guyss?? What independence means according to you?? Open Up . Do Give your comments on this.