The two top smartphone leaders increased the smartphone standards in the android market and the rivalry between the two had taken a new turn with the latest products iPhone 7 and Samsung Galaxy Note 7 being launched in the market. Just after this Google launched its first ever smartphone google pixel and spiced up the rivalry between the two leaders. But this newcomer was underestimated by the leaders of the smartphone market. But who knew that this newcomer may become big.
And then we had the explosion of the Galaxy Note 7 hitting the headlines. According to ET data and statistics, Google launched its first-ever smartphone at a time when People in India who couldn’t afford an iPhone and were waiting for an upgrade to the Galaxy Note 7 were devastated. Samsung being hit with this catastrophe saw a decrease in its sales and iPhone 6 and 6s users with a thought of experiencing something new started diverting over to the Google Pixel and Pixel XL smartphones, this lead to Google capturing a 10% share of the premium smartphone market within 17 days of its launch.
Google had shipped 33,000 units of Pixel and Pixel XL to India and due to all this Apple strengthened its position with a market share of 66%, Samsung dropped with a market share of 23% and Google gained a position with a market share of 10%. Google Pixel gained grounds in the Indian market and was listed among the top three smartphones in the premium market at a time when it was finding acceptance in India.
Leaving no stone unturned and with the aim of capturing a good market share, Google did everything to lure the Indian buyers starting with exchange programs, Interest-free EMI, Cashback and even invested a large amount in online and offline advertising. Slowly Google started finding and acceptance in Indian markets and the features it offered at a price range of Rs.57,000 to Rs.76,000 it gained preference a little fast.
Google Pixel and Pixel XL is the first attempt made by Google to launch a smartphone which is a Google-only effort from top to bottom. The Pixel and Pixel XL were launched in three colors Quite Black, Very Silver and Really Blue and in two variants one with an internal storage of 32GB and the other with 128GB. Google Pixel has a 5.0 inches’ screen, a resolution of 1080*1920 pixel with a pixel density of 441ppi. It has a Snapdragon 821 chipset, a Quad core processor, 4GB of RAM, 12.3 Mega Pixels back camera and 8 Mega Pixels front camera and a rear fingerprint sensor. Its successor the Pixel XL has a 5.5 inches’ screen, a resolution of 1440*2560 pixels with a pixel density of 534 ppi, Snapdragon 821 chipset, a Quad core processor, 12.3 Mega Pixels rear camera and 8 Mega Pixels front camera.
During the launch, Google had announced that both Pixel and Pixel XL would be coming with the latest Android Nougat (7.1) preinstalled and would be receiving regular Android and security updates.
There were many reasons for the people preferring the Google Pixel and Pixel XL over other android phones and iPhone 7. Some of them are:
- Pixel flashed a flat user interface with a slicker and a more versatile looking operating system. This made many things a lot easier to use than they were previously.
- With a better pixel density, the Pixel and Pixel XL featured more saturated and vibrant colors as compared to the boring but accurate colors of the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus.
- Google’s announcement that Pixel and Pixel XL would be receiving regular software and security updates with a better software support, part and a fuss-free and clean Android 7.1 with new features and bug fixes for the next two years made it a very big deal in the android market.
- A better pixel density, the Pixel XL was superior among iPhone 7 and the Galaxy S7 Edge.
- Pixel and Pixel XL with the AI technologies and a better accent recognition made a real difference as compared to the Siri in iPhones and applications like Google Photos that gave an unlimited storage made pixel and Pixel XL truly exemplary.
So, with all these features and Indian market being a price sensitive market it is a little difficult to conclude that would Google Pixel and Pixel XL be easily making a mark in the Indian market in competition with the iPhone 7 and Samsung Galaxy Note 7 as there may be some probability of Samsung launching a new product a little better than Pixel and Pixel XL in the near future. So, the competition continues between Samsung and Pixel as iPhone cannot be afforded by all in the Indian market. But as per the present scenario, it is clear that there are maximum chances of Google making a mark in the Indian market.